Refreshingly Honest.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Pre-Eurovision Selections 2008


It's that time of year again and possibly one of my favourite TV events of the year. It's when Europe and music explodes into camp songs, drama in the green room, political tension and douze pointes! It can can only be... EUROVISION!

For those who don't live in Europe or have lived under a rock (or Italy), Eurovision combines the best songs from each country (apparently) to fight it out under one big stage with lots of flags waving about. The main event is held in May and this year, it's in Serbia on the 24th of May.

So why am I talking about it right now when it's at least two months away?

The UK has just picked their song and I have to say it literally bores me to tears. The song in question is called 'Even If' by Andy Abraham of X Factor fame. It's sounds a bit like Hot Chocolate, view here!

Andy Abraham - Even If (UK Eurovision Entry 2008)
Gimmick: None



There's no gimmick, no excitement and although Andy Abraham can sing - let's face it, people only voted from him as he's a X Factor reject. Woo Woo yeah was a much better choice!

My Rating: Cinq Pointes

Not all songs have been decided yet from all the partcipating countries so I'll just show one or two of my favourites so far.

First up we have the Greek entry from Greek-American Kalomoira, who mixes traditional greek sounds with mordern R&B and a bit of Britney thrown in for good measure. This is going to score highly due to it sounding/looking just a little bit (make that a lot) like the 2005 Eurovision winner which also happened to be Greece! Coincidence? I think not!

Kalomoira - My Secret Combination (Greece Eurovision Entry 2008)
Gimmick: Letters on the body of the dancers



I totally love her performance, great singer and nice dance routines. We have a winner!

My Rating: Douze Pointes

Last mention has to go to Ireland. This has to be one of the most random, slapped together perfomances I have ever seen in the history of eurovision. It also shows that the Irish people don't care for competition anymore. But who cares? They have a sense of humour! Let's have some turkey!

Dustin The Turkey - Irelande Douze Pointes (Ireland Eurovision 2008 Entry)
Gimmick: Everything!



I think this will either do well or bomb badly - doesn't matter though - great entertainment!

Rating: Dix Pointes

As of time of writing, a few countries still haven't picked their eurovision song but fear not, I will probably update later with more!

I'll end now with an enlightening lyric from the Irish entry.

"I'm from a nation where we can write songs. Europe, where oh where did it all go wrong?"

Sums up Eurovision really! :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home